You need a digital photo to apply for a passport online.
You must get a new photo when you get a new passport, even if your appearance has not changed.
Your photo must have been taken in the last month.
Your application will be delayed if your photos do not meet the rules.
How to get a digital photo
To apply for a passport online with a digital photo, you can:
- take a photo during your application - you’ll need someone to help you and a device that takes digital photos
Rules for digital photos
The quality of your digital photo
Your photo must be:
- clear and in focus
- in colour
- unaltered by computer software
- at least 600 pixels wide and 750 pixels tall
- at least 50KB and no more than 10MB
What your digital photo must show
The digital photo must:
502 Bad Gateway
- contain no other objects or people
- be taken against a plain light-coloured background
- be in clear contrast to the background
- not have ‘red eye’
In your photo you must:
- be facing forwards and looking straight at the camera
- have a plain expression and your mouth closed
- have your eyes open and visible
- not have hair in front of your eyes
- not have a head covering (unless it’s for religious or medical reasons)
- not have anything covering your face
- not have any shadows on your face or behind you
Photos of babies and children
Children must be on their own in the picture. Babies must not be holding toys or using dummies.
Children under 6 do not have to be looking directly at the camera or have a plain expression.
502 Bad Gateway
Children under one should lie on a plain light-coloured sheet. Take the photo from above.
Good and bad examples of digital photos
Thank you for your feedback